Grab it! The much anticipated Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) beta, Microsoft Morro, is now available for everyone. As reported earlier, Microsoft security essentials suite is available both in 32-bit and 64-bit flavors for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.
Please note that Security Essentials can’t be installed on Microsoft’s newest Windows 8 operating system as Microsoft has introduced all features of Security Essentials in Windows Defender present in Windows 8.
And if you’re wondering what’s Microsoft Security Essentials, it’s a free antivirus antivirus program from the Redmond company for Windows users. It comes with real-time protection as well as rootkit protection. One can use Microsoft Security Essentials as a replacement for any other antivirus program. Security Essentials provides equal or much better protection than third-party free antivirus programs and is also very low on system resources.
Microsoft Security Essentials features
# Real-time protection
# Dynamic Signature Service
# Rootkit protection
# Lightweight design
# CPU throttling
# Idle-time scanning
# Smart caching and active memory swapping
# Low usage of system resources
Microsoft Security Essentials System Requirements
- Operating System: Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3); Windows Vista; Windows 7 (Beta or Release Candidate)
- For Windows XP, a PC with:
- CPU with clock speed of 500 MHz or higher
- Memory of 256 MB RAM or higher
- For Windows Vista and Windows 7, a PC with:
- CPU with clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher
- Memory of 1 GB RAM or higher
- VGA (display): 800×600 or higher
- Storage: 140 MB of available hard-disk space
- Download Microsoft Security Essentials (Direct Link)
We suggest you uninstall your current antivirus or security suite programs before attempting to install Microsoft Security Essentials. Once installed, you can go through our how to download Security Essentials offline updates, update Microsoft Security Essentials offline, and automatically scan your PC with Security Essentials with your PC is idle guides.