Windows Explorer has been renamed to File Explorer in Windows 10/8, and the My Computer is now called This PC. In Windows 10, the File Explorer opens to the new Quick Access by default instead of This PC.
Although you can configure the File Explorer in Windows 10 to open to This PC instead of Quick Access, many users don’t want to change it as Quick Access shows recently opened files and frequently opened folders.
In Windows 10, when you right-click on the File Explorer icon on the taskbar, it will open the Quick Access. If you would like to open This PC quickly, you can consider pinning This PC to the taskbar in Windows 10.
Pin This PC to Windows 10 taskbar
Step 1: In the Start/taskbar search field, type This PC and then hit the Enter key to see This PC in search results.
Step 2: Right-click on This PC entry and then click the Pin to the taskbar option to pin This PC icon to the taskbar.
You can now click on the newly added This PC icon on the taskbar to quickly open This PC.
Pin computer icon to Windows 7 taskbar
One of the best features of Windows 7 is the new taskbar. It lets you pin programs to the taskbar, similar to pinning programs to Start menu in the earlier versions of the Windows operating system.
When you pin a favorite program to the taskbar, it can be easily accessed with a single click. If you want to have a clutter-free desktop, you might want to pin Computer and Recycle Bin icons to the Taskbar for the easy access.
But pinning the Computer icon to the taskbar is not possible by default. Generally, Windows 7 displays Pin to taskbar option when you right-click on a program, but you can’t see Pin to the taskbar option for Computer.
In order to pin Computer to Windows 7 taskbar, you need to do a small workaround. Here is how to:
1. First, right-click on Windows 7 desktop > New > Shortcut.
2. Enter the below address location of item filed, and click the Next button.
3. In the next window, type in a name for the shortcut (Ex: My Computer). Click on the Finish button to see a new shortcut icon on the desktop.
4. You can now drag and drop your new shortcut icon on to the taskbar to pin it. But if you want to decorate the new shortcut with the default Computer icon, you need to follow the next two steps.
5. Right-click on the shortcut icon (new icon), go to Properties. Click on change icon button and enter the below address in the file location box.
6. Now select the Computer icon and click the Apply button. Pin the icon to the taskbar either by right-clicking and selecting “Pin to Taskbar” option or by dragging the icon to the taskbar.