The recently released Firefox 4 RC packs-in some new features, including Firefox Sync. This inbuilt Sync feature lets you synchronize your Firefox browser passwords, bookmarks, preferences, history, and open tabs across multiple machines and mobile devices.
Prior to the release of Firefox 4, one has to use either third-party software or service to sync passwords and other data. With Firefox 4, you can easily setup and sync your data across multiple machines.
Here is how to setup Firefox Sync:
1. Start by running your Firefox 4 browser. Click Firefox button on the top left side and click Setup Sync option to launch Firefox Sync Setup box.
2. In the box, click Create a New Account button.
3. Enter account details such as email address and password, and finally accept terms of service before hitting Next button.
4. As the Firefox encrypts your data before uploading it to the server, a sync key is necessary to decrypt your data on other machines. In this step, you will get your sync key. You will need this key to to access Firefox Sync on other machines. Please note down your Firefox Sync key before clicking Next button.
5. In the last step, you need to confirm that you’re not a robot. To confirm this, you need to enter the letters provided in the picture. Click Next button to complete the sync setup.
To access your Firefox Sync account and data on other machines:
# Launch Firefox 4 browser.
# Click Firefox button on the top left, and click Set up sync option to launch Firefox Sync Setup box. Click Connect button to see Add a Device option. Click I don’t have the device with me option and enter your email address, password and then enter sync key that you have obtained while creating Firefox Sync account to complete the setup.