The much awaited Windows 7 RC has come out with added features such as the Windows XP Mode (XPM). Though Windows 7 Beta was very stable for primary use, many users hesitated to install it. But with Windows 7 RC, you can now install Windows 7 on your primary machines including Netbooks.
Installing Windows 7 on a Netbook isn’t as easy as installing on Laptops or desktops that come with in-built DVD drive. Since we can’t use DVD media to install on Netbook, we need to use an USB (Pen drive or Flash drive) to make it happen. IntoWindows has already covered how to install Windows 7 from USB/Pen drive in the past.
This guide is exclusively for Acer Aspire One Netbook users, who like to install the brand new Windows 7 on their Acer Aspire One.
1. Windows 7 DVD or ISO
2. A USB Drive with 2.5+ GB (4GB)
3. Windows Vista or windows 7 running machine to create bootable USB stick.
4. Lastly, your Acer Aspire One with 100% charged battery or connected to power supply.
Install Windows 7 on Acer Aspire One netbook
1. We need to create a bootable USB stick of Windows 7 first. To make it happen insert your USB stick and then copy or move all your contents (if any) to a drive.
2. Next, open Command Prompt with admin rights. You can use either of the given methods below to open Command Prompt with admin rights (also known as elevated command prompt).
*Type cmd in Start menu search box and hit Ctrl+ Shift+ Enter.
*Go to Start menu > All programs > Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
3. You need to know about the USB drive a little bit. Type in the following commands in the command prompt:
First type DISKPART and hit enter to see the below message.
Next type LIST DISK command and note down the Disk number (ex: Disk 1) of your USB flash drive. In the below screenshot my Flash Drive Disk no is Disk 1.
4. Next type all the below commands one by one. Here I assume that your disk drive no is “Disk 1”.If you have Disk 2 as your USB flash drive then use Disk 2.Refer the above step to confirm it.
So below are the commands you need to type and execute one by one:
SELECT DISK 1
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
SELECT PARTITION 1
(Format process may take few seconds)
Don’t close the command prompt as we need to execute one more command at the next step. Just minimize it.
5. Next insert your Windows7 DVD into the optical drive and check the drive letter of the DVD drive (Double-click computer icon to know). In this guide I will assume that your DVD drive letter is “D” and USB drive letter is “H” (open my computer to know about it).
In case, if you don’t have Windows 7 DVD and have just ISO, you need to use a free software named Virtual Clone Drive. Download Virtual Clone Drive, then use the Virtual Drive letter as you DVD drive letter after mounting the Windows 7 DVD image. You can also your WinRAR software to extract the Windows 7 ISO file to desktop.
6. Maximize the minimized Command Prompt in the 4th step.Type the following command now:
D:CD BOOT and hit enter.Where “D” is your DVD drive letter.
CD BOOT and hit enter to see the below message.
7. Type another command given below to update the USB drive with BOOTMGR compatible code.
Where “H” is your USB drive letter. Once you enter the above command you will see the below message.
8. Copy all the Windows 7 DVD contents to the USB flash drive.
9. So, now you have bootable Windows 7 USB drive. Reboot your Acer Aspire One Netbook and then, press F12 key to enter the BIOS. Select USB drive as bootable drive and hit enter.
10. Your Windows 7 installation procedure should begin now.
11. Installing Windows 7 is very easy, very similar to installing Vista. Just follow the onscreen procedure to finish the installation process.